Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.8dev.12

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx2.8.8dev.12
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 20:14:32 -0500

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 12:28:03AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Keith Bowes dixit:
>
> >It's not that important.  It's just there have been so many improvements
> >to Lynx since 2.8.7 and I'd love for a better build to be available in
> >distributions.  That's all.
>
> Many distributions carry the current development versions as primary
> (MirBSD, MirPorts, Debian) or alternative (I think Gentoo does that)
> packages. Development of Lynx (and most other software from Tom) is
> so stable that -current versions are better than many other software's
> released versions, after all.

And then some don't update their ports/packages.  (And some apply
the rule unevenly updating ports for weekly patches of some programs
and ignoring minor versions of others ;-)

My impression is that about half of the distributions are 2.8.7rel.1

Gauging the volume of change since 2.8.7rel.1, it seems that I've about
2/3 of the volume versus the previous release, and a little over 2/3
of the elapsed time.  That fits in my comment that there probably should
be a couple more development patches - to address some of the things that
can't be done early in a cycle because I'm fixing things that only get
reported _after_ a major release...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net