Re: [Lynx-dev] Some characters not being removed when new page loaded

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Some characters not being removed when new page loaded
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:41:19 -0400

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 02:26:55AM -0400, Keith Bowes wrote:
> Je 2012-04-05 je 04:22:46 (-0400) Thomas Dickey skribis:
> >
> > actually the default "xterm" entry uses 8, but as you note, there are
> > entries for 16/88/256.
> >
> Yeah, but they're relatively new, aren't they?  My current distro

It depends on what you mean by "relatively".  They're all older than
urxvt - and the 256-color support it provides was actually implemented
for rxvt:

xterm-16color - 1997/5/24
xterm-88color - 1999/11/27
xterm-256color - 1999/11/27

According to the changelog, I started adding the other variations 2006/4/22,
which was only 6 years ago.

(subsetting tends to be haphazard - blame your packagers as needed)

> doesn't have them in the stable version, only in the beta of the
> upcoming version.  I have tried various terminal emulators and
> rxvt-unicode does seem to be the best by my criteria:  it's fast, it
> doesn't flicker, it has a good color map, it doesn't have issues with
> redrawing, etc.  I of course looked for other terminal emulators in the
> first place because of the bugginess of xterm.

still, you've not provided a bug report (no details, nothing to reproduce).

The test-cases I've mentioned are things that I can revisit as I need to,
to check if they're better or worse.

On the other hand, programs which have no debugging traces or logfiles
(whether conditionally compiled or not) appear to be written by developers
with a different attitude toward testing.

fwiw, konsole is somewhat "faster" than urxvt (both drop pending output,
which doesn't help with animations), and has better rendering of unusual
character encodings.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net