Re: [Lynx-dev] Where is the installer?

From: Keith Bowes
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Where is the installer?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 19:01:23 -0400

Je 2012-06-07 je 09:54:08 (+0100) femi ojemuyiwa skribis:
> I would like to install the Lynx text only browser. Erm problem is I
> get all these files downloaded and really just want an install file. +
> the documentation is way too techie. been to some site and downloaded
> a so called win32 version and still cant test or browse the web.
Did you get the Win32 source code by any chance?  Often, programs give
away Win32 source code (in .zip instead of a tarball and with CRLF
endings).  The binaries that Thomas Dickey provides are easy to use, but
have some limitations in use (which is why it's a good idea to compile
your own).
http://invisible-island.net/lynx/#installers

> Thanks anyways for this tool but I sincerely think for a developer to
> take 2 hrs trying to figure this out must be a niche command line type
> old school program.

You're a developer and it's "too techie"? Hm.  I love the console tools,
personally and usually see no reason to use a slow GUI.  I'm typing this
in Vim invoked from Mutt.  I actively develop a feed reader and the
textual interface is the one I most use and thus is the most mature one.
Of course, I built it in a rather modular manner, so you can use any
frontend you desire; the programmer only needs to register callbacks to
receive the feed data and the errors and warnings from the backend.

But seriously, what's the problem?
1. Unzip the binary into a folder (I'd use C:\Lynx)
2. (optional) adjust lynx.cfg to your liking
3. Create a desktop shortcut with the lynx.ico provided
4. Click on the shortcut icon
5. Start browsing

You're acting like using Lynx is somehow harder than using Telnet on
port 80.

--
Keith Bowes <http://zooplah.farvista.net/>