Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 16:52:40 -0500

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 04:40:01PM -0500, Stephen Isard wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013, Thomas Dickey dickey-at-his.com |lynx-dev| wrote:
> <snip>
> >According to the changelog, I added ASSUMED_COLOR in 2.8.3dev.23,
> >and DEFAULT_COLORS in 2.8.6pre.4 (though the code used the feature
> >since 2.8.3dev.18).
> >
> >But I made the color-style configuration the default in 2.8.6 - consensus
> >was that it was an improvement.  Occasionally (this past month is odd with
> >_two_ comments about it) someone asks about it.
> >
> >The oldlynx script in lynx's samples directory makes it look almost the
> >same as the non-color-style.  (The "almost" is because links don't
> >paint just the same way...).  According to the changelog, I added the
> >DEFAULT_COLORS setting to help with the oldlynx script, which looks like
> >this:
> <snip>
>
> Ok.  As I said, I don't think the packagers of my rpm really
> intended yellow text on a white background, so I'll just say it is
> happening in the default configuration and that setting
> DEFAULT_COLORS to false gives the black background that their
> lynx.lss specifies.  I'm not really fussy about the colors as long
> as I can make out the text.  The oldlynx settings would be ok, as
> would the colors that I think they were trying for.  I just don't
> think lynx should come up unreadable by default.

I agree - but there's a dilemma: turning default colors off by default
makes lynx slower than needed for anyone who was happy with it as is.
And there's no reliable way for lynx to determine which to do, other
than the user's configuration (including $TERM setting).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net