Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 17:37:35 -0500

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 05:23:54PM -0500, Stephen Isard wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013, Thomas Dickey dickey-at-his.com |lynx-dev| wrote:
> <snip>
> >>Ok.  As I said, I don't think the packagers of my rpm really
> >>intended yellow text on a white background, so I'll just say it is
> >>happening in the default configuration and that setting
> >>DEFAULT_COLORS to false gives the black background that their
> >>lynx.lss specifies.  I'm not really fussy about the colors as long
> >>as I can make out the text.  The oldlynx settings would be ok, as
> >>would the colors that I think they were trying for.  I just don't
> >>think lynx should come up unreadable by default.
> >
> >I agree - but there's a dilemma: turning default colors off by default
> >makes lynx slower than needed for anyone who was happy with it as is.
> >And there's no reliable way for lynx to determine which to do, other
> >than the user's configuration (including $TERM setting).
>
> Well, I wonder whether anyone is actually happy with yellow on
> white.  I think it's just an accident.  Why specify a black
> background in the ..lss file if you want white?

In this context, I don't think I _want_ white.  It's the terminal's
default background color...

> An alternative if they are worried about speed would be to change
> the alink background in lynx.lss to some other dark color, like gray
> or dark blue.  We are talking here about an rpm package for a linux

That might help - sometimes.  The availability of dark/light colors depends
on the terminal configuration.  The status colors are yellow-on-blue.
Gray might produce the same issue (equating to black).

> distribution which gives you terminals with white backgrounds by
> default, so I think it's fair to configure the lynx package to go
> along with that, and let people who want something else change their
> configuration files accordingly.
>
> I don't really understand what is going on with DEFAULT_COLORS.  Why
> does specifying a black background in the .lss give you white
> (assuming the screen background is white), when specifying any other
> color - blue, green, red - gives you that color?

well... it's here in lynx.cfg:

        .h2 ASSUMED_COLOR
        # If built with a library that recognizes default colors (usually
ncurses or
        # slang), and if the corresponding option is compiled into lynx, lynx
        # initializes it to assume the corresponding foreground and background
colors.
        # Default colors are those that the terminal (emulator) itself is
initialized
        # to.  For instance, you might have an xterm running with black text on
a white
        # background, and want lynx to display colored text on the white
background,
        # but leave the possibility of using the same configuration to draw
colored
        # text on a different xterm, this time using its background set to
black.
        #
        # If built with conventional SVr3/SVr4 curses, tells lynx to use color
pair 0
        # when the given colors match this setting.  That gives a similar
effect,
        # though not as flexible.  You will get the best results by setting the
        # terminal's default colors to match the prevailing text and background
colors
        # that you have setup with lynx, and then alter the ASSUMED_COLOR
setting to
        # match that.  If you do not alter the ASSUMED_COLOR setting, curses
assumes
        # color pair 0's background is black, which implies that its foreground
(text)
        # is white.
        #
        # The first value given is the foreground, the second is the background.
        #ASSUMED_COLOR:default:default

        .h2 DEFAULT_COLORS
        # If built with a library that recognizes default colors (usually
ncurses or
        # slang), and if the corresponding option is compiled into lynx, lynx
        # initializes it to assume the corresponding foreground and background
colors.
        # Default colors are those that the terminal (emulator) itself is
initialized
        # to.
        #
        # Use this feature to disable the default-colors feature at runtime.
        # This is useful for constructing scripts which use the non-color-style
        # scheme, e.g., the oldlynx script.
        #
        # This should precede ASSUMED_COLOR settings.
        #DEFAULT_COLORS:true