Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] link background in lynx-2.8.6-27
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 13:23:50 +0000 (UTC)

Thomas Dickey dixit:

>(1975-1990 for instance - there were color terminals, but not that common)

I’m not “that” old, but this period lasted quite a few years
longer in Europe.

>I've heard that (but also there was some comment then that the phosphor
>would last longer with most of it dark).  In spite of that, there were

That too, and the afterimage effect was less. Actually, I still
have a mono-frequency grey-on-black CRT in use on a Hercules
Graphics Card in 2013, wish the amber one back (though my xterm
cursor and the HTML manpages of MirBSD are now somewhat-amberish
coloured) and am reluctant to replace that box because its
successor doesn’t have the required ISA slot any more…

… but back to topic: yes, colour style is an improvement, and
black, non-transparent background makes things easier to read
and more ergonomic (lighten the blues a bit against xterm’s
compiled-in defaults… not that easy without breaking mc though).

Making Lynx slower by default is not so nice because usage over
ssh and high-latency low-bandwidth links (think GPRS) is very
common too. (It’s somewhat enough for colour, but still… and mc
is very poor on these links.)

I think this is, indeed, a distribution issue, although the
problem persists through screen and ssh… why *is* xterm black
on white by default, anyway? I always have to load my own
~/.Xresources to fix that…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
„nein: BerliOS und Sourceforge sind Plattformen für Projekte, github ist
eine Plattform für Einzelkämpfer“