Re: [Lynx-dev] html5?

From: David Dorward
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] html5?
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 13:59:02 +0000

On 9 Mar 2013, at 16:04, Karen Lewellen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Trying to remember where this is, and have too many posts to search.
> I recall, perhaps when the last announcement of the lynx upgrade, that t here
> is a plug in for html5?

The last mention of HTML 5 in the CHANGES file is:

  HTML5_CHARSETS whose default value was not marked properly -TD

(That's from 2012-02-12 (2.8.8dev.10)).

…but HTML 5 is a major revamp of HTML. It throws in a new parsing algorithm, a
pile of new elements, and a bucket of JavaScript APIs. Large portions of it are
not the sort of things that could be handled by a plugin.

It isn't sensible to treat it as a monolithic thing to be implemented as a
single unit (nobody else is doing that) and any questions about browser support
for HTML 5 are better addressed at the individual feature level.