Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx newspost:// does not correctly encode non-7bit chars

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx newspost:// does not correctly encode non-7bit chars
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 07:00:14 -0400

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 07:42:32PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I discovered newsreply:// and newspost:// today and couldn’t resist
> testing it: news://news.gmane.org/address@hidden
>
> The nōn-7bit-ASCII characters break, and I can trace the real cause
> of the breakage back to lynx. It really should encode the messages
> as quoted-printable if and only if they contain non-7bit chars (as
> MIME is otherwise still frowned upon in the Usenet).

I suppose that taking RFC 3977 and working back to see where lynx is
not up-to-date would help.

> Apparently, post_article() in W/L/I/HTNews.c is the culprit, but it
> doesn’t handle the input at all. I believe I can change it to do
> what I want, if you’d accept such a patch. One thing I’d need to
> know is how to get the “current charset” (i.e. the one Lynx believes
> the texteditor wrote).

src/LYNews.c refers to current_char_set

> Also, it doesn’t properly decode either:
>
> This might be read_article() in the same file. It doesn’t do MIME

It's unsurprising, since most of the attention on charsets has been
for the html pages.

> even for the bare Content-Transfer-Encoding minimum. I believe I
> could change it to parse at least nōn-multipart messages in either
> quoted-printable or base64 correctly, but then I’ve got a charset
> to indicate to Lynx; how would I pass that on?
>
> Another thing I’m missing, compared with reading nntp via pine,
> is that lynx doesn’t offer to view the raw article, like this:

yes... that sounds like more work.

At the moment I've been working down a small backlog on top of
fixes for Coverity, thinking to make that dev.16/pre.1