Re: [Lynx-dev] 301 redirection of post content?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] 301 redirection of post content?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 10:42:11 +0100

The choices are proceed, show url,  use  get and council.
On prior occasions I I would just use proceed the p thinking it needed
me to confirm my wanting to go there.
however for the forum posts this would result in my sending empty content.
this last time, I used the g for get, and the content, remained or I
believe it did.
Can someone give me some clarification on what is going on so i can
insure my  writing posts, and only once?

The HTTP standard requires that normal redirects should use the same method as the original request. The intended semantics of POST are that it causes a change in the state of the destination, e.g. the submission of article.

A lot of sites complete a posting by redirecting to a results page, however this would normally be with a temporary redirect.

As I remember it, they used to rely on mis-implementations in browsers that meant that the redirect was treated as a redirect to a GET (which is not supposed to have any effect on the state of the server). As a result, a new status code was added in HTTP/1.1 which specifically says redirect using the GET method, regardless of that used for the original request.

Lynx is asking you whether you want the correct behaviour, which may result in a re-submission, whether you want to see the URL, so that you can make an informed decision, or whether you want the relatively safe approach of using GET, which may result in nothing happening.

As I said, this normally applies for a temporary redirect. If the site is using a permanent redirect it is probably buggy, as it should mean that it gave out an incorrect URL, when it should have known the correct URL, or that it should really have been using a temporary redirect (browsers are allowed, even expected, to remember permanent redirects and apply them internally for subsequent requests). As such, you really need to understand what it was actually trying to do. I would hope that modern browsers would honour HTTP and use POST, especially for 301.