Re: [Lynx-dev] Can't connect to bitbucket sing lynx

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Can't connect to bitbucket sing lynx
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 16:00:44 -0600

On 2013-11-07 21:50, David Woolley wrote:
> On 07/11/13 14:40, Tim Chase wrote:
>>> CSRF verification failed. Request aborted.
>>> You are seeing this message because this HTTPS site requires a
>>> 'Referer header' to be sent by your Web browser, but none was
>>> sent.
>
> The normal reason for requiring REFER is actually as an anti-deep
> linking measure, to make sure that you accessed the resource from
> their page which probably carries the advertising that pays for
> their site. It also helps stop simple automata.

Apparently Bitbucket is using the REFERER as part of their CSRF
protection, at least that's what their error/diagnostic message is
saying.

If it's saying that lynx isn't sending a REFERER, it's pretty likely
that lynx is configured to not send the REFERER.

Now whether you want that privacy or not (I tend to prefer that my
browsers don't broadcast my REFERER), certain sites require it for
their operation or tell you to jump in a lake if you don't.
Apparently, Bitbucket is among them.

-tim