Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx Version 2.8.8pre.5 should copy files in share/lynx_d

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx Version 2.8.8pre.5 should copy files in share/lynx_doc/ with correct owners/permissions
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:02:43 -0400

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 09:12:46AM +0800, Rajeev V. Pillai wrote:
> On Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:49 PM, Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 08:11:31AM +0800, Rajeev V. Pillai wrote:
> > > The source tarball does have the correct file permissions, but, when
> > > extracting files, GNU tar will consider the user's current umask value
> > > when setting a file's permissions instead of using only the mode-bits
> > > in the tarball.
> >
> > I did say "pristine": packagers as a rule work directly from the tarball,
> > and the packaging systems generally (I don't know of exceptions) don't
> > alter the permissions.
>
> I'm not clear about what you mean by pristine in this context--I build
> most of my binaries directly from the tarballs (in the usual manner):
>
> 1. Download source tarball.
> 2. Extract tarball.
> 3. ./configure ...
> 4. make
> 5. make install (as root)
>
> My understanding is that unless steps 2-5 are executed as root (ie. not
> only step 5.), the owner & permissions for share/lynx_doc/* will not be
> set correctly. Are packaging systems run under a specific umask (0022, say)
> and with a specific user like root?

I run dpkg (Debian) and rpm as my non-root user.  Those systems are
overriding my umask, as I commented before.  There are other systems,
but those account for a large fraction of what's in use.

I build some packages in my FreeBSD and NetBSD machines as root, but
those are occasional, to verify that I could plug my files into /usr/ports
and make them work in an end-system.  On those, I suppose umask is 022
because I've had no surprises.

> > > Speaking of tarballs, lynx2.8.8rel.2.tar has a couple of extraneous
> > > files:
> > > -rw-r--r-- dickey/lynx?????? 0 2014-03-10 03:13 lynx2-8-8/test/nobody
> > > -rw-r--r-- dickey/lynx?????? 0 2014-03-10 03:13 lynx2-8-8/test/X
> >
> > those are intentional:
> >
> > 2014-03-09 (2.8.8rel.2)
> > * correct errata in test-files which cause broken links in break-out
> > directory
> > ? in lynx.isc.org server -TD
>
> Ah, I see! I was confused by the addition of 2 oddly named zero-length files
> in lynx_doc/test/.

no problem

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>