[Lynx-dev] Lynx (not) mapping of Unicode chars into lower ascii?

From: Tim Chase
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Lynx (not) mapping of Unicode chars into lower ascii?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 17:09:44 -0500

I noticed that lynx doesn't seem to make certain semi-obvious
transformations from fancy Unicode characters down to standard ascii
characters.  For an example, check out my tweet on this page in both
a GUI browser such as Firefox/Chrome/Chromium and in Lynx:

https://twitter.com/gumnos/status/468150283592167424

It should have a whole bunch of various-font "a" characters in the
first set of brackets (only the ascii ones show up) and a variety of
fonted number from 0-5 in the second set of brackets.  The
translation from these code-points down into lower-ascii should be
pretty straightforward, but I don't know how lynx currently handles
such translations (I've seen it succeed on some other characters like
turning "©" into "(c)").

It's not that grave an issue for me, but just wanted to mention
stumbling on it.

-tkc