Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx (not) mapping of Unicode chars into lower ascii?

From: Paul Gilmartin
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx (not) mapping of Unicode chars into lower ascii?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 17:29:03 -0600

On 2014-05-18, at 16:09, Tim Chase wrote:

> I noticed that lynx doesn't seem to make certain semi-obvious
> transformations from fancy Unicode characters down to standard ascii
> characters.  For an example, check out my tweet on this page in both
> a GUI browser such as Firefox/Chrome/Chromium and in Lynx:
>
> https://twitter.com/gumnos/status/468150283592167424

FWIW, Linux (and to a certain extent Windows) is quite UTF-8-savvy.
The Ubuntu Terminal app does a great job of displaying native UTF8:
Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic, ...  No need to search for
USASCII approximations.  Even more astonishing, I can edit mixed
Latin and Cyrillic with vi, and even the case-flip ('~') command
works properly.  Works on Cygwin, also, IIRC.

-- gil