Re: [Lynx-dev] UTF-8 MS Windows

From: Gisle Vanem
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] UTF-8 MS Windows
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 12:22:39 +0200

"Thomas Dickey" <address@hidden> wrote:

say, but for windows, it's buried in the dll information (the wide-character
pdcurses.dll is 118784 bytes, while the non-wide one is a few hundred bytes
shorter).  The installers that I built last year use the wide-character
pdcurses.

I have not tried this option. But using SLang 2.2.4 (build with -D_UNICODE + -DUNOCODE) and the same in lynx all hell breaks loose. E.g.:
 src/LYUtils.c(7782) : warning C4133: 'function' : incompatible types - from
'const char *' to 'LPCWSTR'
 src/LYUtils.c(7822) : warning C4133: 'return' : incompatible types - from
'LPTSTR' to 'char *'

The MS-convention (as we all know?) is that LPTSTR etc. maps to 'char *'
or 'wchar_t *' depending on ASCII (default) or UNICODE. But the lynx-sources can never accept building with '-DUNICODE' because of such errors shown above.
So using TCHAR/LPTSTR etc. in the sources has no point as-is. The good
news is that it won't be so difficult to fix AFAICS. I have identified these files with ASCII/UNICODE errors/warnings:

 # err/warn    file:
7 src/LYExtern.c 1 src/LYMain.c 1 src/LYMainLoop.c 13 src/LYUtils.c
  2            lib/dirent.c
4 WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFile.c 4 WWW/Library/Implementation/HTTCP.c 2 WWW/Library/Implementation/HTDOS.c
Btw. line 7782 of LYUtils.c is:
    lstrcpy((LPTSTR) pLogData, szBuffer);

So I'm not sure what the "official" way to support wide-chars in Lynx/Win32
is.

--gv