Re: [Lynx-dev] LYNX & BOOKSHARE

From: Zephaniah E. Loss-Cutler-Hull
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] LYNX & BOOKSHARE
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 00:20:22 -0600

On 12/23/2014 09:57 PM, Shel Talmy wrote:
> I've been with BOOKSHARE since inception, am using what I believe to
> be the latest version of LYNX, 2.8.7 that has SSL support and which
> I've used successfully for BOOKSHARE and all other sites who have
> implemented SSL.
>
> Today's call to BOOKSHARE's tech, told me they've overhauled SSL to
> improve security and have updated access to "all" popular browsers a
> la Firefox etc., but not to LYNX, which had me repeating entries and
> never showed my account when it allegedly logged me in.  The tech
> steered me to the link for "my bookshare" and that did reveal my
> account, and the tech said the login procedure would 'work' with
> differences which I haven't explored yet.  And he said as LYNX was not
> in the loop of updates, that it might be prudent to email them as I
> did and see if they were aware of the BOOKSHARE changes.
>
> So was hoping a LYNX programmer would look into the 'problem' and and
> get LYNX back to where it was, as now searches do not produce results
> as they previously did and I won't bore you by being specific.
>
> Bottom line is IMO, LYNX as used with BOOKSHARE could use an
> examination by a programmer, and maybe a chat with one of BOOKSHARE's
> programmers.
>
> If there's a newer version of LYNX that addresses these problems, I'd
> appreciate info on it so I can update.

The problem is not with lynk.

Looking at the list of supported ciphers by bookshare, they now only
support TLS 1.0 and above, and explicitly do not support SSL v3.0.

This is not a horribly surprising move, and at least the build of lynx
provided by Debian in sid is compiled against a version of gnutls new
enough to support it without issue.

If your lynx is unable to connect to sites that no longer support SSL
v3, can you provide some details on your system, that is, operation
system, distribution, version of the distribution, version of lynx,
perhaps the output of 'ldd `which lynx`', (note the backticks in there,
don't include the single quotes)?

Regards,
Zephaniah E. Loss-Cutler-Hull.