[Lynx-dev] Request for comments on a couple changes

From: Andy Valencia
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Request for comments on a couple changes
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 13:57:44 -0700 (PDT)

---------------
Hi,

I've started working on the Debian package for Lynx.
There's a couple of changes which have come up from
user reports, wanted to see what the Lynx devs think:

1. Proxy configuration is confusing

User set an HTTP proxy, but then discovered this did not
apply to HTTPS.  The man page does not touch on HTTPS, so
at a minimum I will add a concrete example for proxying
HTTPS.

2. Proxy environment variables differ from, e.g., w3m

The environment variable for w3m is HTTP_PROXY, for Lynx
it's http_proxy.  I'm inclined to leave this alone.

3. No command switch for proxying

Links has -http-proxy <host:port> (and similar for
other protocols).  It could be added, presumably with
priority over environment variables.

4. Proxy function critical

If you want/need to proxy but get the config wrong, you
just go out un-proxied.  When you're proxying into Tor
or such, this could be Bad.  I suggested a --must-proxy
command switch to cause non-proxied network connections
to fail.

5. REFERER_WITH_QUERY defaults to DROP

Ironically, this default setting causes summit.debconf.org
to fail.  Defaulting to PARTIAL would make SSO logins
work in the summit.debconf.org part of the world.  This one
definitely needs a comment from somebody with a "big picture"
view of the function.

Thanks,
Andy Valencia
Volunteer, Lynx package on Debian