Re: [Lynx-dev] ANN: lynx2.8.9dev.9

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] ANN: lynx2.8.9dev.9
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:12:27 +0200

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 01:12:32AM +0000, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> * restore fix to filter out left-to-right marks which was broken in
>   refactoring in 2.8.9dev.2, and also filter out right-to-left marks
>   (Debian #808949) -TD

Thanks for taking care of bugs reported in Debian!

Nevertheless, in this case, the fix might have broken something else
as it probably caused the following regression reported in Debian
today: https://bugs.debian.org/822958

Citing from there:

  Bi-directional text rendering is broken. See

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-to-left_mark

  [screenshots skipped, can be found in the bug report]

  With lynx 2.8.9dev9-1, the exclamation mark is no longer at the
  correct place. With lynx 2.8.9dev8-4, there was also an issue: the
  replacement characters after "the order of the Hebrew characters
  is".

  Note: in the same mlterm, the w3m browser is OK.

I can't reproduce the regression in an uxterm since it always seems to
show the exclamation mark at the end, independent of the lynx version.

(mlterm shows the exclamation mark indeed at different places, but
only shows boxes instead of hebrew characters for me.)

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://abe.noone.org/ (Web)