Re: [Lynx-dev] Problem when downloading *.gz files

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Problem when downloading *.gz files
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 19:55:34 +0000 (UTC)

John J. Boyer dixit:

>Thanks. but what I am reporting is that after I find the link in Lynx
>and press d to download the file it doesn't download properly. I've lnly
>experienced this problem with html.gz files. It shouldn't be necessary

Oh! This is likely a bug in the *server*, as the pages are usually
not stored compressed but that’s done on-the-fly, and some use deflate
or compress and serve as gzip viceque versa. For more details, search
the list archives, I vaguely recall writing about it in more detail.

Quick test: hit (O)ptions, and change…

  Preferred encoding               : [36][(5)__All_____]

… to…

  Preferred encoding               : [36][(1)__None____]

… and retry (ideally, do that in a new browser session, and before
you visit the server in question). If the pages get down with no
corruption, that’s it. Iff that works, you can try…

  Preferred encoding               : [36][(2)__gzip____]

… and see if that also works. Either way, that means the server
operator has misconfigured their webserver. (Back then, I verified
the code, input, and output of lynx against the various standards
involved and could come to the conclusion that it’s correct.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
22:20⎜<asarch> The crazy that persists in his craziness becomes a master
22:21⎜<asarch> And the distance between the craziness and geniality is