Re: [Lynx-dev] Few suggestions to improve the UI.

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Few suggestions to improve the UI.
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 19:18:47 -0600

On 2016-11-22 19:19, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Ashutosh Sharma dixit:
> >3. Streaming audio through command line players like mocp.
>
> Lynx can stream through, say, mpg123, but only if the pages offer
> it properly. Most hide things behind ECMAscript. I often hit
> backspace to view the source code, search for mp3, and then just
> copy/paste the URI.
>
> Added benefit: doesn’t block the browser, I can continue to use it.
>
> It could hand off the audio in the background, but that would leave
> you with few means to control it after, which is… suboptimal at
> best.

It's not quite so bad if you have a background music player that can
be remotely controlled, such as "cmus" or "mpd".  Lynx can be
configured to launch the URL/.m3u/whatever file remotely, and then
return to lynx unblocked.  The music can be controlled via
interaction with the music program however you prefer.  I use cmus
and have fluxbox configured to send the appropriate commands on
certain key-presses, as well as having some simple shell shortcuts
that do the same thing.

> Yes and no. But you can navigate half-page-wise (with the
> parenthesis keys), or just hit Insert/Delete to scroll two lines,
> to get back the context.

For me, it's ^N/^P to get the two-line scroll.

> Tim Chase dixit:
> >DDG seems to do some user-agent sniffing, detecting that Lynx is
>
> Yes, that’s a feature, they have /, /lite/ and /html/, only two
> of which, at best, work in text browsers.

It looks like the OP's main issue here may have been proxy-related.

> I actually use both lynx and links+/dillo, depending on how I
> wish to view the content. (Mostly dillo for average pages and
> links+ as manga viewer, but dillo has gotten less usable recently,
> so my links+ use increased – although lynx is still my primary
> browser.)

I like dillo better now that I've tweaked it to enforce my
color-scheme, overriding its attempts at CSS processing.  But it's
long had a soft spot in my heart as a HTML documentation-viewer.  So
much faster and lighter than Firefox/Chromium, but with images inline.
I know some of the (e)links(+,2) browsers support a graphical mode,
but dillo got me first, so it's my go-to, even after the transitional
hiccups from the first generation to the FLTK iteration.

-tim