[Lynx-dev] Few suggestions to improve the UI.

From: David Niklas
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Few suggestions to improve the UI.
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 16:57:59 -0500

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 05:10:40
Ashutosh Sharma <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have used LYNX for over 2 months now and found it pretty cool. Also
> tried eLinks but I find LYNX easier to use and it's pretty awesome! I
> do have some inputs on possible improvements that could be made.
>
> 1. The navigation part of many sites becomes extensively long and makes
> it difficult to access the important content on sites. If the lists with
> class="*-nav" or id="nav" could be condensed into one link and expanded
> on selection, it would make a huge difference in the user experience.
Love the idea. Note that there are often a site nav (via some over done
bar), and a page nav set of links, I'd like to be able to undisplay both,
so that I can skip to the content, others, however, would not like this so
please make it an option and add a keybinding so it's not global.

> 2. Auto detection of protocol. e.g. duckduckgo.com should automatically
> redirect to http://www.duckduckgo.com. eLinks already has this feature.
Why?

> 3. Streaming audio through command line players like mocp.
You'd need to add flash and "livevine" (or similar), support for most
sites.
Out of curiosity, what site(s) are you thinking of?
I prefer to play after downloading, if you find that troublesome or
impossible for your use case, as might occur for such things as internet
radio, then consider doing "curl --silent URL | ffplay - " or similar
(or try looking into an icecast (or similar), client).

> 4. Also if the horizontal nav being displayed properly(horizontally)
> would be helpful.
Please, I hate horizontal scrolling, if it can't fit in 1024x768 window
then I'd prefer to not to visit the site.

> 5. While navigating pagewise(using space or numpad) one or two lines
> should be repeated as it keeps you in context.
I agree, but it would be better if the paragraph that was cut could be
scrolled to the top as a whole (perhaps with an > where you left off).
EXAMPLE:

----------------------
I have a dog.
  See the dog. See
it eat. Funny, funny
-----Press space------
SPACE
----------------------
  See the dog. See
it eat. Funny, funny
dog.
-----Press space------

But not everyone would appreciate such a feature so add an option.

> I am really interested in getting involved. It feels unique and shows
> the power of command line. Also, saves important memory on low config
> hardware while providing network navigation capabilities. Really great
> effort!
>
> Cheers!
That it does!

Sincerely,