Re: [Lynx-dev] Unexpected behavior downloading Lynx's binary

From: L A Walsh
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Unexpected behavior downloading Lynx's binary
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 00:31:01 -0800

address@hidden wrote:
I'm sorry to confuse you and the delay in my reply.
I wanted to report 2 unexpected behaviors in downloading file.
  1. Lynx saves the transmission stream data (gzipped data) when the content is served
with a "Content-Encoding: gzip" header.
----
        You showed bzip2 and zip files where you said this happened.

Does it always happen with all files, or just bzip2+zip?

If it is a bzip2 file, and it is gzipped, does that mean you can
use "gunzip" to decompress or remove the "gzipping", and then
can use bunzip2 (or unzip) to get the final files?

        If it were me, looking at a binary file, I'm not sure
I would know the difference of binary data compressed with gzip
vs. bzip2.  If it is in a file, you can see a header, but when it
is just a binary stream like a binary file downloaded from a server,
I don't think any header is added.

So I'm
  2. Lynx adds the file extention "gzip" in some cases and doesn't add any file
extention in other cases in the situation same as 1.
---
        That's something -- I assume you can then use
gunzip on the file, then bunzip2?  How peculiar!   ;-)