Re: [Lynx-dev] Unexpected behavior downloading Lynx's binary

From: L A Walsh
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Unexpected behavior downloading Lynx's binary
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 14:32:28 -0800

Thorsten Glaser wrote:
Probably ;-)
        :-)

If it is a bzip2 file, and it is gzipped, does that mean you can
use "gunzip" to decompress or remove the "gzipping", and then
can use bunzip2 (or unzip) to get the final files?

Yes.
---
        That's very weird.  Never heard of a client that
didn't -- thing is, the server should only send stuff that
lynx can do.  If lynx can't uncompress binary streams, then
it shouldn't advertise it.  But it does uncompress most of the
time, right?  I wonder how it could happen, or what could cause
it to change its "normal" behavior...  Hmmm.

So I think Thorsten wrote the same problem as 1.
I had both already.
---
        Well, hmmm.  I'd hoped that since lynx was a 1st
class text-based browser, that it would have all the text
functions "down" (like the color'ed text).  Darn if I wasn't
overly optimistic (not that this is very different from
"normal" - sigh..)

Thinking out loud here, but it seems it might be nice if lynx had a "X11" mode so it could access different font families. The text mode rendering of fonts seems quite a bit behind that of graphical mode (going from gvim experience). Not exactly
related to the original subject... but touching on where the
line of what one might consider "basic" -- whether handling
"in-transit" compression or text decoration.

-l