[Lynx-dev] compile 2.8.8.02 with ncurses 6.0 segment violation

From: Thomas Seeling
Subject: [Lynx-dev] compile 2.8.8.02 with ncurses 6.0 segment violation
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 17:56:26 +0100

Hallo,

I am currently playing with a DIY linux system (LFS 7.10).
This worked fine with default settings from the LFS book for ncurses.

Then I tried to tweak some settings and Lynx started to bail out with
segment violations. I tracked with gdb to the first call to pnoutrefresh
in ncurses lib.

Backtracking my changes to the configuration showed me that
--enable-widec in ncurses configure settings caused Lynx to die.

Since I'm in Germany I'd like to use charsets which contain all of the
funny german special characters. What am I doing wrong? Is something
missing so that --enable-widec doesn't work or is this a known problem?
Or is this me completely misunderstanding what "widec" means?

What I did:
cd ~/ncurses-6.0
./configure [switches]
make clean && make && make install && ldconfig
cd ~/lynx2-8-8
./configure [switches]
make clean && make && make install
lynx https://www.kernel.org

working lynx configure settings (for me) were
  --disable-color-style
  --disable-trace
  --enable-nls
  --with-ssl
  --with-pkg-config
  --disable-ipv6
  --with-screen=ncurses
  --disable-prettysrc
  --enable-syslog
  --enable-gzip-help
  --with-bzlib --with-zlib
  --disable-finger --disable-gopher
  --disable-news   --disable-wais
  --disable-dired
  --without-x

together with ncurses configure settings:
  --without-ada
  --without-tests
  --with-pkg-config --enable-pc-files --with-pc-suffix
  --with-shared --with-normal --with-cxx-shared
  --with-gpm
  --with-manpage-format=gzip
  --disable-gnat-projects

Tschau...Thomas
--
"Do you wanna be a legend or a passing footprint on the sands of time?"