[Lynx-dev] circumventing blocking sites

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: [Lynx-dev] circumventing blocking sites
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 09:28:51 -0700

For several years, I have used lynx (and also wget, and rarely, curl)
to access publisher Web pages for new journal issues.  Recently, I
noticed that a lynx pull of an page from Elsevier ScienceDirect would
never complete:

        % lynx -source -accept_all_cookies -cookies  --trace
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00978493/62 > foo.62

parse_arg(arg_name=http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00978493/62,
mask=1, count=5)
        parse_arg
startfile:http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00978493/62
        ... no further output, and no job completion ...

Similarly, I also find that wget and curl fail to complete.

This new behavior suggests that the publisher site has thrown up
http-agent-specific, rather than IP-address-specific blocks, because
accessing the same URL in a GUI browser on the SAME machine gets an
immediate return of the expected journal issue contents.

If I add the --debug option to wget, I find that it reports