Re: [Lynx-dev] List-of-links encoded improperly

From: Dimitrios Semitsoglou-Tsiapos
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] List-of-links encoded improperly
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 18:56:02 +0200

On  Thu 23-Feb-17 20:19, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 12:28:52PM +0200, Dimitrios Semitsoglou-Tsiapos wrote:
> > On  Wed 22-Feb-17 19:38, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> > > not really - it's generating the file (not passing it on), and is
> > > using a known encoding.
> > >

> > I am probably misinterpreting the problem, so I will give an example. I
> > have received email from ebay where they encode URLs multiple times
> > within all their links. For example, here's three successive (but not
> > necessarily consecutive) chunks of a single URL:
> >
> > HTML source                         lynx -dump
> > ---------------------------------   ---------------------------
> > http://rover.ebay.com               http://rover.ebay.com
> > https%3A%2F%2Fsvcs.ebay.com         https://svcs.ebay.com
> > L%252B                              L%2B
> > http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com   http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com
> >
> > >From those I have come up with a minimal example (they probably encode
> > too much personal information in their arguments for me to upload the
> > whole URL).
>
> well... "dump" is formatted.  Why don't you simply use the HTML source?
> >
> > Would ebay be at fault here (for their encoding or server handling),
> > lynx, or I for using the dumped URL directly?
>
> sounds like the last - I'd use lynx on the HTML file (via -source,
> or from some other program such as wget)

The output I was hoping to have is a human-readable representation of
the page (this rules out raw HTML), with links that I can follow. I'm
afraid I still don't understand the point of having links that can't be
used.

At any rate, since this is the desired behavior I will work around this
a different way to get the output I want.

Thanks for taking a look at this.