[Lynx-dev] Retrying without TLS and other Fun Things

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Retrying without TLS and other Fun Things
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 07:41:57 -0500

Secure sites these days are mor often than not responding with
some sor of breakdown of the TLS protocol so one gets a "retrying
without TLS" message and then the wheels come off spectacularly
for that site.

I am running Debian GNU/Linux 7 and the version of lynx is Lynx Version
2.8.8dev.12 (22 Feb 2012).
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, GNUTLS 2.12.20, ncurses 5.9.20110404(wide)
Built on linux-gnu Nov 23 2016 21:57:17

        Okay, let's try the next version of debian. I have a
somewhat newer system running debian jessie

Lynx Version 2.8.9dev.1 (12 Mar 2014)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, GNUTLS 3.3.8, ncurses 5.9.20140913(wide)
Built on linux-gnu Jun  5 2015 11:34:27

On this one, two different secure sites act as if they will load
but then things sort of vaporize. Here are the messages I
captured fromDuckDuckgo. I get the same from another secure site
I go to on the newer lynx only you see the name of that start
page and then one is back in the lynx_bookmarks page as if
nothing ever happened. Here is the Duck
Duckgo fizzle:

Looking up duckduckgo.com
Making HTTPS connection to duckduckgo.com
DuckDuckGo
-more- https://duckduckgo.com/lite

and that's all.

        The older lynx actually works with TLS on DuckDuckgo as
well as several other sites but more and more sites using https
links no longer present a page. Lynx tries with no TLS and the
secure sites rightly refuse to make an insecure connection. The
newer version of lynx may, for all I know, make the connections
but if you can't read the page, it isn't much more useful.

        Since I usually don't use lynx on the newer system, I am
not sure if I have something else configured wrong. I am using
the command-line to a bash instance on both older and newer
systems.

Thanks for any constructive suggestions.

Martin McCormick