[Lynx-dev] How does NewYorker.com know I've accessed it?

From: russellbell
Subject: [Lynx-dev] How does NewYorker.com know I've accessed it?
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 00:58:51 -0600

        Most websites that restrict access make the client browser run
a script; thus they don't track lynx accesses.  NewYorker.com tracks
my accesses via lynx:

         You've read your last complimentary article this month. To read the
full article, [20]SUBSCRIBE NOW

        If you're already a subscriber please [21]sign in or [22]link your
subscription.

        If I browse in Firefox with noscript I can view all the pages
I want; with scripting on they nab me.

        I've deleted lynx's cookies file, tried accessing via a
different route.  I know this isn't a lynx problem, I'm just curious.
Of course I should pay.

russell bell