Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and https,

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and https,
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 22:14:43 -0500

On 2017-10-15 19:50, Chime Hart wrote:
> Lynx Version 2.8.9dev.8 (21 Dec 2015)
> libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, GNUTLS 3.4.9,

That should be enough for lynx to know *how* to talk TLS/SSL/HTTPS.
Though I'd be curious if it's trying to connect and then punting
because of bad certificates.  If so, you might try reading up at

  http://lynx.invisible-island.net/current/README.sslcerts

to check which certificates your system defaults to accepting.

> here are my 3lines, but they don't work.

What are the symptops that "they don't work"?  Does lynx crash?  Do
you get some sort of useful error message?  What sort of site are you
attempting to connect to?  Does it hang when attempting to connect?
Can you connect to HTTPS sites with other browsers or connection
tools like either

  telnet example.com 443

or

  openssl s_client -quiet -connect example.com:443

(the first one will largely give you a banner and garbage, but should
at least connect, the second one should let you manually issue HTTP
commands like "GET / HTTP/1.1")

With a bit more information on how it's failing for you, it might be
possible to track down what's happening.

-tim