Re: [Lynx-dev] Disable cookies permanently

From: Larry Hynes
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Disable cookies permanently
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 21:07:06 +0000

address@hidden wrote:
> I wondered if it was possible to disable cookies completly and
> permanently. I only can find options to auto-accept cookies or options
> to white-/blacklist cookies for certain domains. Even if I configure
> lynx to ask me what to do with cookies of a certain site and I choose
> "Never" as answer to the "Allow?"-question, lynx asks me again, once I
> run a new lynx session. Maybe I did not search enough or proper or I
> don't understand the used terms ...

Can you find your lynx.cfg file? (Mine is at ~/.lynx/lynx.cfg, and
is exported to my environment as LYNX_CFG=~/.lynx/lynx.cfg
in my shell's ~/.profile.)

An excerpt from that file, which is very well commented:

h1 Cookies

h2 SET_COOKIES
# If SET_COOKIES is set FALSE, Lynx will ignore Set-Cookie headers
# in http server replies.  Note that if a COOKIE_FILE is in use (see
# below) that contains cookies at startup, Lynx will still send those
# persistent cookies in requests as appropriate.  Setting SET_COOKIES
# to FALSE just prevents accepting any new cookies from servers.  To
# prevent all cookie processing (sending *and* receiving) in a session,
# make sure that PERSISTENT_COOKIES is not TRUE or that COOKIE_FILE does
# not point to a file with cookies, in addition to setting SET_COOKIES
# to FALSE.
# The default is defined in userdefs.h, and can be overridden here,
# and/or toggled via the -cookies command line switch.
#
SET_COOKIES:FALSE

This should be enough to set you on the path you want.