Re: [Lynx-dev] can't change user-agent-header

From: russellbell
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] can't change user-agent-header
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 07:41:05 -0700

        Quoth Jude DaShiell:
        'in lynx.cfg when a line begins with a (#) is that always a
comment line?'
        Yes.

        'If so, in order to change things in lynx.cfg I need to
adjust the value on the line and remove the hash mark from the
beginning of that line.'
        Yes.  The default file has the default values of all options
commented-out with #

         'Now one thing I did try was to view lynx.cfg from inside the
options setting menu.  I tried that as user account and got a few
lines of the file and no more.'
        Mine shows all of it.

        'Would root access enable the toggling of items in lynx.cfg
going in from the options menu or is that strictly a view function?'
        I can edit mine - but russell owns it on my machine.  If root
owns it on yours and you don't have write access you can't.

        Quoth Chuck Martin:
        'messages I hope the webmaster will find in his logs advising
of problems with the site, or idiotic things he's implemented (like
blocking browsers based on the user agent string).  Surprisingly,
those messages often allow me to view a page or site that specifically
blocks browsers with the string "lynx" in their user agent.'
        Har!  Dream on!  I manage a small site.  We have thousands of
accesses hourly.  I look at them to diagnose problems we're having
with the site.  I've never seen a lynx access that wasn't mine.  I've
never had a lynx-hostile complaint treated sympathetically by a
webmaster.

russell bell