Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx startup message

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx startup message
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 06:48:51 -0400 (EDT)

>>>  sh: line 0: test: .: binary operator expected
>> This message isn't coming from Lynx.  It is coming from a shell
>> script.

I think more likely it's coming from the lynx binary being mistaken for
a shell script.  Do you get the same (or a similar) message from
running "sh /usr/bin/lynx"?

The real question, of course, is _why_ it would be mistaken for a shell
script, since (at least if file(1) is to be trusted) it is not one.

That I can do no more than take guesses at, but here are two:

- It's lost its execute permission and the shell in use is guessing it
   might be a script when exec() fails, without noticing the lack of an
   execute bit.

- /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 isn't what it's expected to be, so exec
   is failing.  (This could be because it's been damaged or because the
   binary was linked on a different system from the execution system,
   with the dynamic linker "interpreter" at a different path.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                address@hidden