Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx does NOT default to https support

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx does NOT default to https support
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 09:19:49 +0100

On 22/05/18 05:47, Mouse wrote:
PS. https support is essential now days

Perhaps for what you want to do.  I do just fine without it, and,
indeed, if lynx defaulted to HTTPS support on, I would disable it
before building - I neither have nor want HTTPS support.  (On my home
machines, that is.  At work, on work machines - I use lynx both at home
and at work - I build an HTTPS-capable version because that's what work
needs.)

The current advice to web site operators is that http sites should always redirect to https ones, and there is meta data on some sites that relates to this, although I forget the details. It appears to be a policy pushed by Google, and it looks as though http sites will lose their position in Google's search results.

If you impose a no https policy on the internet, you will find that you can only access sites that don't know or care about current best practice.