Re: [Lynx-dev] HTTPS [was: Lynx does NOT default to https support]

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] HTTPS [was: Lynx does NOT default to https support]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 08:50:40 -0400 (EDT)

>>> PS. https support is essential now days
>> Perhaps for what you want to do.  [...] - I neither have nor want
>> HTTPS support.
> The current advice to web site operators is that http sites should
> always redirect to https ones,

Advice...from whom?  I know _I_ certainly am not about to impair the
accessibility of what I export to the Web to that extent.

> It appears to be a policy pushed by Google, and it looks as though
> http sites will lose their position in Google's search results.

This matters only for website admins who care about Google's rankings.
Despite apparent beliefs to the contrary held by various persons and
organizations, running a business is not the only reason to export
webpages.  I don't give a damn what rank Google gives me - and, indeed,
I note that Google itself still supports HTTP, as do a
perhaps-surprising number of businesses and semi-businesses, and quite
a lot of non-businesses.

> If you impose a no https policy on the internet, you will find that
> you can only access sites that don't know or care about current best
> practice.

First, I have to call you on equating the Web to the Internet.  The
Internet is a communications infrastructure.  The Web is one service
run over it.  They are not equivalent.  I also am in no position to
impose anything at all on "the Internet", only on the miniscule corner
of it I run and on my own uses of it.

That said, and the insanity of considering Google's preferences to be
equivalent to "current best practice" aside, I find there are very few
websites that I actually miss accessing due to their choice to drink
the "require HTTPS from everyone" koolaid, and those few I perhaps miss
but get along without just fine.

You, of course, are welcome to choose otherwise.  For your use cases
for the Web, HTTPS may indeed be essential.  I'm just pointing out that
it definitely is not so for everyone.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                address@hidden