Re: [Lynx-dev] Terminal redraw bug

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Terminal redraw bug
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 18:56:55 -0500

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 03:12:27PM +0000, Edd Barrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I've found a bug in lynx. I'm using version 2.8.9rel1 from
> OpenBSD ports.
>
> To reproduce, fisrt put in ~/.lynxrc:
> show_color=never
>
> Then open lynx at some page, e.g.:
> $ lynx openbsd.org
>
> When the page has loaded, re-draw the terminal with CTRL+L. The
> background colour will change to a different colour (under solarized
> dark colour scheme for xterm, it goes a lighter hue).
>
> This doesn't happen without the line in the config file.
>
> My $TERM is 'xterm', but I tried others like 'xterm-color' and
> 'xterm-256color'.

well..., you told lynx to not use colors, but the terminal initialization
(curses or slang) may reset colors, whether or not lynx does try to
use colors.  That's expected behavior (and the exact details depend on
the terminal description and the actual terminal).

Just this (from the terminal description for xterm):
        sgr0=\E(B\E[m,

will reset bold video attribute, color, and line-drawing.
(There's no conventional terminfo capability for resetting bold,
and the \E[m resets that _and_ color).

> I also notice the background color is different from the initial page
> background colour whilst the page is loading.
>
> Must be a bug?

not really.  Lynx can only do what you expect in this case if the
terminal's in a known (reset) state when started.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net