Re: [Lynx-dev] a cookie question?

From: russellbell
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] a cookie question?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 06:24:54 -0700

        Quoth Karen Lewellen: 'If I remove the cookies for amazon.com,
as the site is currently configured and then try to log in again using
lynx I am presented with a page that has no fields for my username and
password.  Instead there are links for things that normally appear at
the bottom of their log in page.'
        A site that allows logging in, if it keeps track of
logged-in-ness by looking at cookies, will require logging in if it
doesn't find a cookie.  This happens to me at 'The Lancet'.  I find
the login page

        Quoth Karen Lewellen: ' Further one sometimes gets told to
allow cookies, but if I edit my .lynx-cookies file, amazon adds more.'
        A site that uses cookies will if it can, no matter how many
times one deletes them.

        Quoth Karen Lewellen: 'There is a Toronto radio station who
would fail to find their cookie if the file is too large.'
        lynx provides the cookie; sites don't get to see the whole
cookie file; they can't know how large it is.

        Quoth Karen Lewellen: 'If I am not careful I can end up with
hundreds and hundreds of cookies in this file.'
        I have 385 today with no trouble.  I care not.

russell bell