m4-discuss

Re: Continuous integration for m4

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Continuous integration for m4
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 15:47:47 -0600

On 12/8/18 11:33 AM, Karl-Philipp Richter wrote:
Hi,
Does m4 use any form of continuous integration (CI)? I'd define CI as
test of the recommended build and test command(s) on supported platforms
for every commit in the SCM, i.e. git, for starters. How do GNU projects
handle this in general?

I'm not sure if anyone is running any particular CI builds specifically on m4; although there might be a more generic buildbot (perhaps Nix or Guix) being run over a collection of GNU packages.

At the most basic sense, those with commit rights don't commit without at least testing that things build locally, but that does indeed mean that things can slip in affecting other platforms that a CI system would catch, so I'm not opposed to using one. But at the same time, I don't have the resources to administer a CI system myself.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266