Re: [patch] reversing dependency order

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: [patch] reversing dependency order
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:29:21 -0500

I guess my only concern with this is that there's a performance and
memory penalty to pay with the current implementation.  You are
constructing a side-array with all the prerequisites.  For makefiles
with many prerequisites this could be impacting.  It would be nice if we
only had to pay this penalty when someone chose to reverse the
dependencies, although that would make the code messier.

I was trying to think if we could just construct the dependency chain in
the reverse order in this case, then leave the rest of the code the
same, but with the current data structure again you're talking about a
performance problem.