Re: RFC: new debug option "--debug=c" which echoes all commands executed

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: RFC: new debug option "--debug=c" which echoes all commands executed
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:02:05 -0500

I don't believe that this is properly a debug option.  Currently the
debug command controls generation of actual debug statements; things
that are not normally printed.

What I'd like to see is a comprehensive make verbosity or output control
option, with the same sort of invocation syntax as the current --debug
option (assuming people think that's OK), that unifies the various
verbosity options that exist today such as -s, etc. and extends them to
new places, such as ignoring "@" as you suggest here (this is a very
common request, actually).

So for example, -s would be short for --output=s, and maybe other
options would control the print-directory feature (--output=w?), and a
new one such as "--output=c" could mean print commands even if they're
normally hidden with "@" or similar.  Obviously some of these conflict,
which is not an issue with --debug, but...

It's even possible that other output-control options could be included
here, such as --print-data-base, and other features that I want to add
later such as generating an elaborated makefile with includes and basic
variable expansion performed.

Some of the features Bill added with the make debugger would also be
useful here, I think.