Re: Changes for 2nd expansion

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Changes for 2nd expansion
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:02:51 -0400

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 19:52 +0200, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> Also ping me when you are done with the changes and I will give it
> a try on my build system which uses the second expansion (including
> in patterns) a lot.

That would be great; I'm really relying on the regression suite here,
but I'm concerned that there may be test cases missing.  I have a
standard set of other test builds I use, such as GCC, glibc, the Linux
kernel, etc. but they don't exercise the 2nd expansion.  Also since I
left my previous job, I've lost access to some of the tests I used to be
able to do.

I did see and grok (I hope) your comments in implicit.c; they were very
helpful in understanding the current behavior.

Also, if you are doing builds on Linux, it would be interesting to see
if you see any improvement to memory usage, and/or notice any difference
in performance; you can use valgrind or similar to help with this.  Let
me know, when we get to that point, if you would like some quick
instructions on how to do this.

Cheers!