Re: Integration of the code of user defined out of date evaluation

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Integration of the code of user defined out of date evaluation
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:27:24 -0400

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 17:24 +0200, Ramón García wrote:
> Although this is quite delayed, I would like to help with the
> integration of the code that I developed under a Summer of Code grant
> about user defined out of date determination.
>
> What can I do?

Hi Ramon.  What we were planning to do was include the various parts of
the project one at a time.  I'm hoping that as we include them, we can
maybe simplify them somewhat because I still feel that taken together
all the parts are hard to understand.  It may be that there is not much
that can be done about that, but before we make a release and commit to
supporting it in perpetuity I'd like to make the effort.  I'd be willing
to make some (reasonable) limits on the functionality in order to gain
sufficient simplicity.

The plan we had called for first integrating the "private" variable
feature.  See the various threads from last fall:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-alpha/2007-09/threads.html

A complete solution would include doc changes, test cases, etc.

I've been concentrating in the last month or so on trying to get the
memory usage issue under control.  This, unfortunately, involves
changing the way 2nd expansion is handled and I'm working my way through
implicit.c:pattern_search(), which is the last step.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us