Re: .ONESHELL enhancement?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: .ONESHELL enhancement?
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 10:55:02 +0200

* Matt McCutchen wrote on Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 09:51:25AM CEST:
> On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 10:12 +0000, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> > As another minor point, constructs used to avoid shell command line length
> > limitations may break with this optimization.
>
> Is it still a problem to pass the shell a long multiline argument with
> -c?

Yes, but I'm not sure what you mean here.  If you are referring to the
command line length limitation removal inside the Linux kernel, then
yes, the full length is unlimited now, but the length of each single
argument has a limit.  Unfortunately, in many cases, GNU make currently
calls SHELL -c 'COMMAND-LINE', so that limit applies still on Linux.

Of course, for most other systems nothing has changed either.  Yay Hurd.

> If so, make could use a pipe or a temporary file.

Not sure what you're after here.

Thanks,
Ralf