Re: [bug #31002] make picks wrong pattern rule

From: Edward Welbourne
Subject: Re: [bug #31002] make picks wrong pattern rule
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:51:51 +0200

> As far as I can see, given two rules, the first more general and the
> second more specific, you can get the old behavior (in a
> backwards-compatible way) by
<snip desc="general recipe" />

> Here is an example:
>
> %.o: %.S
>
> foo-%.o: %.c
>
> Here is the third rule that should be inserted between the two:
>
> foo-%.o: foo-%.S

ah - yes, OK, I see how that works.  It's sub-optimal that this rule
has to repeat the command from %.o: %.S but it'll do.  I agree that
this should fix the problems I was worrying about (and I still haven't
yet tested my make-files with 3.82, so don't yet know whether I even
have a problem - been a bit busy lately).

        Eddy.