Re: 3.83 testing

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: 3.83 testing
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 13:49:45 -0500

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 16:05 +0200, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> David Boyce <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Boris Kolpackov <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Don't you think that having a way to switch make to the sane newline
> > > handling from the POSIXly-correct one would be useful? Something like
> > > a special target in the Makefile? I could definitely use such an
> > > option.
> >
> > Wouldn't that be the already-existing .POSIX: target?
>
> No, .POSIX: switches make to the POSIX mode. What I am looking for is
> a way to disable the POSIX newline escaping handling (and only that).
> Which, I believe, is a mis-feature.

I modified to code to have the default behavior revert to the
traditional backslash/newline handling, and only use the POSIX-style
when the .POSIX target is set.  You can get the POSIX behavior if you
want it using the GNU make behavior, and no one has given me a good
reason to prefer the POSIX behavior (other than that it's defined in the
standard).

I also enhanced the manual by adding a new section for this.  More
should be added here to discuss escaping in GNU make in general, but
that's an effort for another day.