Re: New escape method proposal

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: New escape method proposal
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:38:48 -0700

Paul Smith wrote:
The current handling of backslashes is, IMO, really horrible and just
confusing and not very useful.  I'd love to get rid of it

We could get rid of it when the new quoting feature is used anywhere in the makefile. That wouldn't break existing makefiles. And we could deprecate its use in other circumstances, before removing it in some later version.