Re: Output quoting (was: Re: Possible solution for special characters in

From: Frank Heckenbach
Subject: Re: Output quoting (was: Re: Possible solution for special characters in makefile paths)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 15:29:38 +0200

Tim Murphy wrote:

> You can't control what people do with a feature that you add to make.

As I told you already, we can. :)

> where I'm suggesting a slight generalisation of one that opens
> the door to other use cases..

You may think you are, but so far you haven't done so. What you did
suggest is:

- incompatible with the intended use of SHELL_QUOTE (only applied to
  automatic variables),

- incompatible with the intended use of SHELL_QUOTE again (not only
  in recipes),

- very vaguely specified (what's that 3rd parameter etc.?).

If you suggest a new feature, you should at least describe it
properly. Also give a clear use case; not some vague words and
syntax fragments, but at least a complete, though of course
hypothetical, example with a makefile, expected output and
everything relevant.