Re: Minor Comments on Gmake Internals

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Minor Comments on Gmake Internals
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:31:32 -0500

On Sat, 2021-12-18 at 12:22 -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Perhaps Paul Smith would have a different preference. Whichever way,
> it should be documented better.

I added a note to the README file on submitting patches and added
pointers to it in the manual and in the README.git file.

In general any form will be accepted, but we don't use or recommend
GitHub and don't maintain a version of GNU make on GitHub, so a GitHub
PR is not preferred.

The main issue is not so much the form of the change, but the fact that
for any non-trivial change the FSF requires copyright assignment or
disclaimer paperwork to be provided.

Submitting Patches
------------------

If you'd like to propose a change to GNU make, you should create a
patch with your changes.  If you're making your changes in a Git workspace you
can run "git format-patch" to create a patch file.  If not, you can use the
patch(1) utility.

Once you have a patch you can submit it in any of these ways:

  * Create a bug on Savannah and add the patch as an attachment:
      https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=make&func=additem

  * Send the patch via email to <bug-make@gnu.org>: be sure to add it as an
    attachment to avoid interference by email processors.

Be aware that all non-trivial changes proposed for GNU make require FSF
copyright paperwork to be completed before they can be accepted.  Contact
<bug-make@gnu.org> for help.