make-w32

Re: SHELL

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: SHELL
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:45:42 +0000

On 1:24:13 pm 2005-06-03 Ashley Holland <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, I am getting rather confused using mingw32-make.exe and I hope
> that someone can help.
>
> I have a VERY simple makefile
>
> SHELL = /bin/sh

Do you have an sh installed?

> all:
>     @echo $(SHELL)
>

> and the echo only works if I DONT have an sh.exe somewhere in my PATH,
> which is not what I expected.
>
> I get the error
>
> mingw32-make.exe all

mingw32-make doesn't understand POSIX paths.  If you have MSYS or Cygwin
installed, then you should use the ``make'' command instead.

> process_begin: CreateProcess((null), echo C:/mingw/bin/sh.exe, ...)
> failed. make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> mingw32-make.exe: *** [all] Error 2
>
> If sh.exe is in  C:/mingw/bin/sh.exe.
>

> Can anyone help explain this?

CreateProcess needs c:\mingw\bin\sh.exe and mingw32-make doesn't change the
/ to a \.  It was ported to use on makefiles written in win32 style paths.
Patches I'm sure would be considered to convert the / to \ for the name of
the file to spawn.

Earnie

--
       MinGW - http://www.mingw.org/