make-w32

RE: Crash with recursive make

From: John Hall
Subject: RE: Crash with recursive make
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 08:26:03 +0100

On 10 October 2006 22:22, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I then realised that the unique thing about my setup is that I'm
> > building with VS 2005, so I recompiled make with VS 2003
> > and the crash
> > no longer happens. I would suggest, therefore, that the version of
> > 'close' in the  C runtime shipped with VS 2005 is stricter about
> > checking its arguments, which is why I see it and you don't.
>
> I'm not sure your conclusion is correct: I'd expect `close' to be in
> some DLL that is part of Windows, not of a compiler package.  E.g., I
> don't have VS at all; my Make is built with MinGW.

Eli,

The 2003 project (and therefore the 2005 one as well) is set to
statically link to the C library. Different versions of Visual Studio
ship with different versions of the C library - the VS2005 one is
substantially different. If I change it to link to the DLL version of
the C library, VS2003 uses msvcr71.dll, whereas VS2005 links to
msvcr80.dll.

I don't know which version of the C runtime MingW links to.

Regards,
John