make-w32

Re: Possible bug with 3.81?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Possible bug with 3.81?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:12:31 +0200

> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:33:16 -0400
> From: "Chris Sutcliffe" <address@hidden>
>
> With previous versions of make the first rule was used to produce
> libraries that have both def and object files:
>
> dlltool --as=as -k --output-lib libshell32.a --def
> ../../../w32api/lib/shell32.def
> ar r libshell32.a shell32.o
> ranlib libshell32.a
>
> whereas with version 3.81 it just runs the dlltool command as a result
> the symbols and functions exported from the object file are not
> included in the import library.
>
> Has this behaviour changed in version 3.81?

I'm not aware of any changes in this are, but I may be wrong.  Can you
post a short self-contained Makefile that reproduces this behavior
without requiring to install the w32api sources?

Btw, are you using the same versions of Binutils (dlltool, ar and
ranlib) with both versions of Make?  If not, perhaps the invoked
programs cause this somehow.