make-w32

Re: performance issue with cgywin make

From: Bill Hoffman
Subject: Re: performance issue with cgywin make
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:05:24 -0500

Earnie Boyd wrote:
Quoting Bill Hoffman <address@hidden>:

real    0m39.404s
user    0m0.031s
sys     0m0.062s

Hmm... Are these from Cygwin's shell? Is it possible that these timings do not reflect actualness due to your native program would not use the Cygwin runtime? Are you comparing apples to apples? You might want to find some real measuring software. I've also noticed that times can be skewed by the caching within the drive controller as well.
I ran the tests several times, and the timings seemed to be pretty stable. Also, it was mostly stat'ing the same files over and over again. So, things should have been very cached for the most part. The numbers are in line with what we found with cmake about a year ago. At that point we were using a profiler. I was running this from the a cygwin shell, and I compiled the program both with and without the cygwin compiler. I know with cmake we saw at least a 2 fold speed up when we went from _stat to the native windows calls.

-Bill